Monday 27 August 2012


I am sitting in Gatwick airport and my body can’t quite figure out what time or day it is ……. I am just going with it till I reach Inverness tonight. I left Adelaide on the 24th and spend one night in Sydney to see the biennial with some friends ….. If you haven’t been it is worth a trip ….. as always there was some I loved and some …. I didn’t, and if you haven’t been out to Cockatoo island I would highly recommend it, not only is there some great art to see but the island itself is amazing.

                                          Alwar Balasubramaniam. 'Nothing from my hands'


                                          The work of Beijing artist Li Hongbo.

I managed to catch up on some sleep, watch a couple of movies and do some sketching on the flight to Dubai. I have never been to Dubai and was interested to see some of the buildings and crazy constructed islands just off the coast …. But I missed all the sights flying in as it was still dark. On the way out we did get a good view of Palm Island and some of the amazing skyscrapers that Dubai is know for ….. I couldn’t get my camera out in time to get any photo’s for you but I will try on the way back through.

Dubai Airport in hands down and by far the busiest airport I have ever seen!! There was a sign saying that 200,000 people passed through Dubai airport every day ….. and I swear they were all there at once when I arrived. There was huge line-ups for everything including the bathroom ….. now I am not going to go into to much detail here but there was a full time cleaner that just stayed in the bathroom ……  to much information I know ……. but some of the noises coming out of that bathroom terrified me.

                                          Main walk way at Dubai Airport. there was well over 200 gates!! 

As this trip is the first time that I haven’t seen our daughter everyday of her life, I was expecting to miss her a lot …. And I really do. I have seen so many children around the age of our daughter Neko on this trip and it really pulls at the heartstrings. Thankfully I have my laptop and mobile …. That’s a cell phone for all you North Americans …. And so far have managed to talk to Gab and Neko a couple of time in transit. Gab told me that the first morning I was gone that Neko got into our bed and pointed to my side and said Daddy ….. oooohhhh! What a little cutie!!   




                                         Gab and Neko seeing me off at the Adelaide airport.

It wasn’t till I had almost arrived that I really paid attention and realized that I had a 7 hour layover in Gatwick, which by the time that I sorted out some baggage issues, checked my bag and thank goodness had a shower, in what I must admit was a bit of a questionable and grungy shower, wasn’t enough time to get out and see anything. Which is fine as I am planning to spend three days in London on the return trip and I am sure that anyone sitting next to me on my next flight will greatly appreciate that that I took the time for a shower.  


No comments:

Post a Comment