Sunday 9 September 2012



OK ... So I am interested in some feedback..... it has been suggested by some who shall remain nameless, that I should put less 'having fun shots/holiday type' pictures on my blog and focus more on the glass and the Master classes .... What do you think?? WAIT!!!  before you answer let me fill you in on my take of the Northlands experience. When you arrive the amazing and generous staff at North Lands Creative Glass mention that although you are here to take a class, learn new techniques and expand your artistic vocabulary that when the weather permits you should also be sure to take the time to take-in the surroundings ...... it is part of what make Northlands unique ......... and it truly is unique. It is located in the small fishing village of Lybster perched atop cliffs overlooking the North Sea, in the Caithness region of the Scottish highlands. So although I know it is an exercise in futility to try and convey the majestic and picturesque landscape, mind-bendingly old history, the vibrant Scottish Highland culture, and all the knowledge, skill, intensity and social cohesion that takes place in a great Master class it is ALL a part of the North Lands experience.
 
So what do you think? I would appreciate you feedback.

I will say before I try to sum up my class with Angela Jarman that due the the time constraints of a casting class the majority and focus of the class was all preparation for what was to become glass. So although this was a very intense and focused class the finished glass is still to come. My work, which you will see pictures of in just a bit came out of the kiln at the end of the last day and although it has been demoulded it was still warm and couldn't be cleaned or cold-worked.



All gathered around the kiln warming up after a short walk on a 'warm' Scottish evening. Truth be told I have really been enjoying the crispness in the air. 


On the second last day the kiln was shut off so that it would be down in time for everyone to take their work with them ...... then someone ...... Word on the street is that it was Max ..... placed a little wagger on how fast the kiln would fall and what temp it would be at 9 am .... and wouldn't you know it ...... he won!!! 



Suzannah's birthday ...... which she didn't tell anyone about! But luckily her husband sent her over flowers and a nice box of chocolates from Ireland ...... and I say luckily because she shared the chocolates with us! 


Sarah drawing stingers out of a vitrograph ..... which I now know is a kiln on a wall with a hole in the bottom that allows you to heat up crucibles of glass and draw out glass stringers and cane. 


Me having a go.

Neko our daughter.......  Just because she is beautiful and Gab sent me this picture on my phone. CUTE!! 


Moulds out of the kiln and ready for de-moulding. I know people who use fiber-glass strands in their moulds but I have never actually tried it myself ...... it makes for one string mould!! These were single pour moulds using flint instead os silica and having the addition of the fibreglass strands. 



Shows the kiln wire used to strengthen the core poking out of the core cavity. This is a slow process of gently cleaning the mould mixture from around the wire and inside the core. Once this is out I will cut off the sprue and begin grinding and polishing back the surface of the clear glass to expose the core, which is a tree branch that passes though the stone. 



This cast is in black glass and shows the branch on the outside of the stone. It stands in contrast to the other casting in both colour and form, together I wanted them to speak about presence and absence, the experience of the now and memory of past.



I hit publish instead of save ...... so now you will have to wait for me to come back and fill in the captions for the next few images ..... as for right now I have to run, dinner is about to be served. 

Hope you are all great and loving life! 





















1 comment:

  1. I understand your dilema Chris. The experience of any Master Class (or any experience for that matter) is heightened by the place that it occurs in and Lybster in Caithness has that in spades for us folk from the colonies. From the history to the current politics, from the quality of northern light to the dramatically changeable light, from the people who live there to the people visiting for the first time, and well the lore and lure of the whiskey, it all tumbles around you at Northland. But balance in everything is what keeps it moving forward... I would love to hear more of your thoughts on "presence and absence, the experience of the now and memory of past". Thanks again for this Chris,
    cheers Brad

    ReplyDelete